Tuesday, March 26, 2013

On Marriage Equality

I try very hard not to get political in public forums, because the potential argument with someone over my beliefs and opinions isn't worth my time or frustration. And if you argue with me, instead of discuss, well that really isn't worth anyone's time is it?

I also believe that the subject of marriage equality shouldn't be a political issue, but alas, we are forced into a situation where lawmakers get to decide who we are allowed to marry.

Marriage equality is an issue near and dear to my heart, and not just because I have many incredible LGBT people in my life, but because of my own relationship.

It was less than 50 years ago that interracial marriage was legalized in the United States. That means that less than 50 years ago, my relationship would have essentially been illegal.

Thankfully I can honestly say that Sakief makes me happier than anyone else ever has. The color of his skin, his religion, or lack thereof, isn't a factor in our relationship, and vice versa. We just respect one another.

I had someone tell me that dating Sakief "isn't American". I'm pretty sure that the white Jewish chick dating an Indian guy who was raised Muslim is the epitome of American, because we are free to do so. And yet, many people I know and love aren't free to to marry the person they love. I've also had people ask me how our relationship works. Uh, how does YOUR relationship work? We are people who love each other, that's how it works. It's the same for anyone who loves anyone else, regardless of race, religion, creed or sexuality.

I don't miss the old ladies staring at us as we walk through the grocery store together. It makes me want to cry every time; I have nothing that I need to justify to anyone.

I'm hoping that most of you reading this will be even the tiniest bit horrified. Because if we don't allow all Americans the same rights, imagine how many years of hate we have ahead us.

Ask yourself, how, and why, does someone else's marriage affect your life? Why do the old ladies stare? It's not fear, it's not religion, it's hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment