Saturday, July 14, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

As promised, a recipe for cauliflower pizza crust.  I won't bore you with the other ingredients as it doesn't matter to me how you top your pizza.  I love this recipe.  I even told Sakief it might be the best low carb substitute I've found, other than mashed cauliflower (which I have yet to master, but Sakief makes so well).  I see a trend... cauliflower apparently makes a great substitute!  I'll have to see what other cauliflower recipes I come across.

2 eggs
2 cups fat free shredded mozzarrella
2 cups riced, fresh, uncooked cauliflower (use a cheese grater)
minced garlic
basil (or other herbs of your liking)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Mix all ingredients together.  Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.  Spread mixture on baking sheet to desired thickness (mine looked good when it was approximately the size of a medium take out pizza).  Bake 15 mins (I went for 20 mins thinking it didn't look done enough, but don't forget that it will go back in the oven once you top it).  Crust should look browned, but not yet crispy.  Remove from oven.  At this point I used a spatula to separate the crust from the foil.  Top with desired toppings, and place it in the oven for and additional 10 mins or so, until crust looks crispy on the edges and cheese is melted.

I found that it is hard to pick up like a regular slice of pizza, but not impossible.  Expect to use a fork though!

Enjoy!
Unbaked Crust
Baked Crust (A little more brown than it should be)
Finished Product!



1 comment:

  1. It looks like the rea thing, I would never guess u could do it with cauliflover. I missed real pizza all too long...

    ReplyDelete