Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A mile in my shoes

Almost one month ago I set a goal that by tomorrow I would be able to run a mile without stopping.  Unfortunately, I failed.  Mostly because I set the goal and then promptly forgot about it until last week... Despite the fact that I am working out on a regular basis, running is just not a part of my routine, and I'm not good at it (nor do I particularly enjoy it). 

When I remembered last week that my deadline was coming up, I got on the treadmill a few times to see how far I could push myself.  The farthest I got was .65 miles, though I averaged about 1/2 a mile every time I tried.  Not bad considering I haven't been trying at all.  Each time I ran last week it almost killed me, so this week I decided I'd start the treadmill couch to 5k again.  Since I know I am in better shape than before, I started on week 2. 

Yesterday was day 1 of week 2, and it wasn't so bad.  The work out has you alternate running and walking for 30 mins, but I went a little longer, and had a long cool down.  In my few personal training sessions I learned some weight training exercises for arms to do while walking on a treadmill, so I added those in to my warm up and cool down.  I can definitely tell there is more definition to my shoulders, biceps, and triceps, it's just hard to see since I still have some weight to lose from my upper arms.  Next week I plan to up the weight I'm lifting since it's getting a little easy.

Today was supposed to be day 2, but I'm a little sore (hips, ow), and overly tired.  I'm not skipping my work out altogether, just didn't make it to the gym.  I have a couple of at home work outs that I'll do tonight while watching tv and preparing some healthy food for the rest of the week (breakfast quiche are cooking as I type, and smell incredible!).

Hopefully I can stick to the C25k program this time around, and will be up to a mile (and then some) in no time!

1 comment:

  1. I never been an activist. I started running with 10 week plan that provide increasing in running compared to march (repose), each week. But my condition is far from yours, I wish I could run this 0,65 mil without a break :) How long are you jogging if may I ask?

    ReplyDelete