Sunday, August 12, 2012

Delicious Dessert!

The past few days have been full of cravings for me, which I suppose I should expect every now and then.  It definitely seems as though when I have allowed myself to indulge (responsibly) that I tend not have a desire to binge.  I haven't really let myself indulge for the past few weeks, which is why I saw a serious slip last Wednesday (damn you tacos) and why, for the first time since I moved to Texas (and months prior), I had a pizza delivered to my house last night.  I am so ashamed.  And honestly, it wasn't worth it.  I have been gassy, bloated, and all around bleh feeling since.

Today I wanted to be very careful about what I ate, because of last night, and because I have no idea how well I'll eat while I'm in Pensacola.  Then the chocolate bug hit.  Thankfully, I keep only healthy sweet snacks in the house, and my chocolate options were limited.  Also thankfully, I'm lazy, so I knew I wouldn't leave the house just to pick up a candy bar, or other horrible for me chocolate deliciousness.  My ready made options at home were cocoa roasted almonds (an absolute favorite) or a chocolate protein shake, neither of which seemed like they'd hit the spot.  Then I remembered seeing a recipe for chocolate frozen yogurt (on Pinterest of course) and knew I had all of the ingredients.

Very simply... 1 cup greek yogurt (fat free, obviously), 2 Tbsp cocoa powder, sweetener of your choice (stevia, agave, or splenda).

You can freeze it or not.  I didn't freeze mine because I was hungry and ready for some chocolate!  Unfrozen it has the consistency of chocolate mousse.  Greek yogurt is already pretty thick, but the cocoa powder "dries" it out a bit and really thickens it up.  I loved it!  Apparently if you want it frozen you should stir it every few minutes so it doesn't get completely hard, but I couldn't tell you what the consistency would be like.  I'd assume closer to that of a traditional frozen yogurt.

Anyway, for this whole cup (it's a lot!) there are only 150 calories, 1 g fat, 15 g carbs, and 25 g protein.  There is also 4 g fiber (who knew cocoa powder is loaded with fiber?).  Lovely.



For another quick recipe update.  I made party chicken a few weeks ago, and slow cooked it in the oven.  I tried it again last week, but wanted to see how it would work in a crock pot.  Seemed as though it wouldn't be a problem.  My biggest concern was if it would change the flavor.  I have noticed that oven vs. crock pot does seem to give a different flavor for some things (like when I tried making the chicken for avocado chicken salad in the crock pot, not good).  Well, the verdict is in, and it was still great!  I didn't notice a difference at all.  I did change up the spices I used, just to play around, but the chicken and bacon are the main flavors and it all seemed the same. 

I am so ready for Tuesday to get here!  I am still being so impatient...

No comments:

Post a Comment