Monday, September 10, 2012

Drum Roll Please!

As I mentioned on Friday, I was beginning a 3-day diet that promised "up to" 10 lbs of weight loss in those 3 short days.  In doing my research I discovered that many people saw more like 5-7 lbs of weight loss, which is still incredible!  I was pretty skeptical, but it certainly couldn't hurt.  So did it work?

I'd say yes!  As of this morning I weight 4 lbs less than I did on Friday.  So what if it isn't 10 lbs, or even the 5-7 lbs so many others saw?  4 lbs is incredible for 3 days!  And I'm ecstatic.  And also still a bit in disbelief (I think I got on the scale 5 times this morning, but it said 215.5 each time).  The instructions are pretty clear that you shouldn't substitute, and I did, so did that make a difference?  Maybe.  I don't really care.  What I ate worked.

My biggest hope from this 3 day diet was to take off the rest of the weight that I had gained back, and give myself a little boost.  Hopes met.

I am still reserving judgement until I weigh in on Friday to make sure that the weight stays off, but if it does, I think I may try this again. 

Here is the diet, I indicated where I made substitutions (either because I didn't buy the food, or don't like it).  I have heard it called the "Military Diet" and the "Cleveland Clinic Diet" because supposedly it was designed to lose weight quickly before surgery (and the military adopted it to use before a weigh in). 

DAY 1:
B: 1/2 Grapefruit, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 slice toast (I had high fiber tortillas, type of bread wasn't indicated), Coffee/tea (No creamer, I did use splenda)
L: Slice toast (again, tortilla), 1/2 cup tuna (I hate tuna, so I used canned chicken breast), Coffee/tea
D: 3 ounces meat (whatever you want), small apple, 1/2 banana, 1 cup green beans (I ate broccoli), 1 cup vanilla ice cream (I ate Greek yogurt with vanilla extract and splenda)

DAY 2:
B: 1 egg, 1/2 banana, 1 slice toast (tortilla, yum)
L: 1 cup cottage cheese (I ate fat free), 1 hard boiled egg (not really sure it has to be hard boiled, but mine was), 5 saltines
D:  2 hot dogs, no buns (I ate turkey dogs), 1 cup broccoli, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup baby carrots (9 or so), 1 cup vanilla ice cream (Greek yogurt again for me)

DAY 3:
B: 5 saltines, small apple, slice cheddar cheese (I ate two slices low fat swiss)
L: 1 hard boiled egg, 1 slice toast (tortilla)
D: 1 cup tuna (1 small can = 1/2 cup, again, I ate chicken), 1/2 banana, 1 cup vanilla ice cream (Greek yogurt)

The instructions say not to add any spices but salt and pepper, so it can be a bit boring at times.  Also, coffee/tea are only listed from B/L on Day 1, but I drank coffee every morning (no creamer, just splenda).  For the most part it wasn't so hard, but some of the meals are small so I got hungry earlier than expected. 

Also, you can supposedly do this once a week (3 day diet, then 4 days of regular, healthy, eating).  Like I mentioned earlier, if my weight is 215.5 or less on Friday, I may definitely try this again. 

I definitely caution anyone trying this to be sure that it will meet your nutrition needs, and to discontinue if you don't feel well (I read about several people who had hypoglycemic symptoms after a day or 2).  But good luck if you do try! 


2 comments:

  1. one of my lab mates does intermittent fasting (2 days a week) and has had great results. I wish I had that kind of self-control!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to be clear, I do not advocate fasting. More power to your lab mate, but everything I've ever read has said that fasting is very unhealthy for you. If you choose to fast as a means of weight control, please consult a physician!

    ReplyDelete