Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Hawaiian Burger!

Tonight was finally my night to cook dinner (not that I'm complaining about Sakief cooking most nights...) and I wanted to try something new from Pinterest. I've pinned almost 200 recipes that I want to try (not all main dishes mind you), so I had a lot to choose from. I decided on the Hawaiian burgers that I first came across a couple of months ago but haven't tried yet (I haven't tried most of the recipes, let's be honest). Of course I chose one where the link to the recipe has been flagged as spam, so I couldn't get to it from my iPad, blah. The following recipe I essentially made up based off of the picture, so bear with me.

I used 96/4 ground beef, but obviously you can use your favorite ground meat. I also used a thicker cut bacon, but for those who avoid/don't like pork bacon, I suppose turkey would work as well.

32 oz ground beef
8 slices pineapple
16 slices bacon
Onions (minced, as much as desired)
BBQ sauce (use your fave)
Garlic powder as desired
Wood toothpicks

Combine beef, onion, 8 Tbsp BBQ sauce, and garlic. Make 8 4oz patties. Lay each patty onto 2 crisscrossed slices of bacon. Lay one slice of pineapple on each burger. Wrap the ends of the bacon slices over the burger and pineapple and use a toothpick to hold it in place. Bake in oven at 350 for 30 mins (burgers will be well done). I cooked most of the burgers on a rack over a metal pan so that the fat would drain off a bit, but I did cook 2 in a glass pan with no rack. I definitely recommend the rack. There is so much grease/fat that is rendered off that the burgers cook better when it can fall away. But if you don't have a rack, they will still taste just fine.

Add more BBQ sauce if desired. Sakief likes his smothered! I was fine with the taste as is.

Obviously this made lots of leftovers for us, and I'm glad for it! Super yummy, and healthy. I served it with broccoli, but given some time to think about it, I probably would have done something a little more creative to go with Hawaiian burgers. Next time!



4 comments:

  1. I hope that's turkey bacon... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I baked the burgers for 30 minutes, but did not get crispy bacon. I even broiled the burgers in the oven for a few minutes, but the bacon did not crisp. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I BET YOU COULD BBQ ON THE GRILL WHICH WOULD CRISP THE BACON.....GOING TO TRY THIS :)

      Delete
  3. Would be great with teriyaki, instead of bbq sauce.

    ReplyDelete