Saturday, February 25, 2012

The (Pumpkin) Spice of Life

Some of you may be aware that I LOVE all things pumpkin. I have yet to find a pumpkin inspired anything that I don't like. This has only been made worse by my awesome coworkers, who feel the same way. Every fall we get a little pumpkin crazy. But why does it have to be fall to enjoy delicious pumpkin recipes?





I've also recently become a little obsessed with Pinterest. Not too long ago I saw a recipe for pumpkin spice oatmeal that I really wanted to try. Yes, oatmeal does not equal low carb, however, low carb does not mean "avoid carbs all together and then binge on them when you can't take it anymore." I also live with a man who is not on the low carb bandwagon with me (although incredibly supportive), and I thought, "what a nice, easy breakfast I can make one chilly Saturday morning." That morning was today, and it was good (and still very healthy). I paired my pumpkin spice oatmeal with pumpkin spice coffee (a K Cup) and low fat vanilla creamer (it tastes like Starbucks PSL but with only 30 calories). All in all, breakfast came to under 400 calories. See the recipe below.


1.5 cups milk (soy, almond, skim, whatever)
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla (but I use more, yum!)
1 cup oats
2 tbs brown sugar

Whisk together all ingredients except oats and brown sugar and bring to a boil on medium heat. Add oats and cook until soft. Divide into two servings, top each with brown sugar and enjoy!

(Recipe borrowed from Pastry Affair)


1 comment: